My Vintage Life - Guest Post from Col @ Hello Olive

Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Hello!
Hope you are all well.
Today marks the first in a new series of posts called My Vintage Life.
One of the things I love about the blogging community is discovering what others have collected. So I thought it would be nice to ask some of my favourite bloggers to show some of their vintage treasures on Little Birdie. 
So a very warm welcome to one of my very favourite bloggers!

Hello, I'm Colleen from Hello Olive, and I'm so excited to be sharing some of my special vintage finds on Little Birdie today. Thanks Jen for asking me to contribute :-)

Why do you like vintage?
When I was a student one of my friends always wore the best vintage clothes - back then it was just called 'secondhand' ;-) - and that's how I got into it. In those days I was only really interested in the clothes but now I'm always on the lookout for kitchenware. I love how something vintage makes a home look a little bit more lived in... Plus, it's loads of fun trawling flea markets and charity shops and finding fabulous things for a bargain :-) 

By the way, that book case was picked up on the street in Edinburgh! Not sure if it's vintage or not but it's quite old and in desperate need of a makeover. And yes, I arrange my books by colour. And my cds. And my dvds :-)


What's your favourite vintage era?
I love Mid Century furniture (it's the pointy legs!) and crockery from the 60's and 70's. We found this cabinet in a tiny furniture shop in Cape Town and I love it! I must admit though that I'm not terribly clued up with the technical side of things - I just buy something because I like it! (By the way, that Fisher Price bus in the basket used to belong to my husband and his sisters when they were little, and it's now one of the Toddler's favourite toys!)


What's your most treasured vintage piece?
Ooh, tough question! The ring my husband bought me for my 30th birthday. We were still living in Edinburgh at the time and were in Cape Town on holiday when we spotted it at an Antique store.  


I absolutely love the detail of the stone's setting. My other favourite vintage item is a dress (that's a snippet of it in the pic) which I bought about ten years ago. I've only started wearing it recently as it's a summery frock and those Edinburgh summers just weren't ever warm enough :-) I think it used to be a maternity dress as it is HUGE around the middle but I wear it with a belt and it looks fine.


What is the most recent item you've bought?
A gorgeous Corning Ware percolator. (The painting in the background is a charity shop find although I'm not sure if it's vintage...)


What would you most like to find?
I am currently obsessed (just ask my poor husband) with finding a Mid Century sideboard. I've seen The One on Gumtree twice in the last few months but I've missed out both times :-(

This beauty is from By Design Modern

Thanks again Jen for asking me to contribute. I've really enjoyed doing the guest post - hope you and all the Little Birdie readers enjoyed it too! x



Wow Col. I'm so impressed by all your vintage pieces and the lovely stories behind them too. Many thanks for sharing them with us.
Please go visit Col's fantastic blog, hello olive where she writes about design, vintage and her family life. And thank you again for this fantastic guest post. x

11 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea and such a lovely blogger - I love anything old that looks like it has a story to tell.

    Have a lovely day

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. such a lovely things!!! i love this fabulous ring <3

      Delete
  2. Love it! I'm with Col on the sideboards and I would have more if I had room! Great post and lovely pics! Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely idea Jen look forward to reading some more....It is always interesting to see what people are passionate about. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous! love that cabinet with the little legs! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That RING! Ahhh my heart flipped! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think its the pointy legs on midcentury furniture that get me everytime too! Loving the pyrex dishes...oh and yes I desperatly want a sideboard too...one day!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOH!! AAH!!!

    I love love love it all, the sideboard with the pointy legs, the kitchenware, the bookshelf, the bus...oh and the ring is just stunning.

    It's rare that I go into high street stores any more, most of the stuff leaves me cold. Give me a bit of vintage anyday!

    I can tell I'm going to love these posts, it's like a psychedlic version of Show and Tell :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great guest post! So many lovely vintage finds! I used to live in Edinburgh as a student, it's such a beautiful city. It's a shame you're finding it hard to track a mid century side board, there are so many beautiful ones over here in Scandinavia - you could try www.lauritz.com - and then do a road trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great guest post - what a good eye you have Col getting all those finds. I liked all the stories behind them and the mentions of Edinburgh :) I've actually got the same dish as you (first photo - middle dish) and found it in a skip in Glasgow amongst a whole set of vintage crockery. No lid for mine though but that doesn't matter! I still like checking skips and I'm not ashamed to say it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab post! That pyrex dish in the first photo made my heart skip a beat a little (the one on the top of the pile) - either my mum or my Grandma had that dish, but i feel as though i "know" it somehow! I have the sugar bowl.

    Jen, great series! I am looking forward to seeing who else contributes. x

    ReplyDelete

Hello!
I love to hear from you.
I'll try to reply if you have a question, but sometimes life gets in the way! x

little birdie All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger